Wednesday 3rd June
Present: Margaret Ormonde,
Barry Prior, Bill Harper, Jill Verran, Vera Bodman, Carol Gibson
1. Apologies Cathi Edwards.
2. Minutes of the last meeting (Tuesday 7th April 2009) were
3. Matters arising:
25th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS
Event went well with good community attendance. Good team effort and particular
thanks to BP and BC for organisation.
BP will thank Budgens manager for provisions donated; and distribute cake to
Next issue of 'Caversham Bridge' should have report on event. Not featured in
other newspapers, but may be on websites.
Email received from Councillor Mark Ralph to thank Association for what it does
for local community.
Clive Ormonde and Owen Jewiss took photographs on the day. Possible web page
Cheque sent to Grace Church as donation, but approximately the same amount as
hire charge. Can use hall again in future.
MAINTENANCE OF SIGNS AND SEATS
Members Bryan Verran and Brian Bernard volunteered to repair brickwork around
the base of the sign. Work to start 9th June 2009. BP and BH will deal with seat.
Notice outside Golf Club but not on planning list. Continue to monitor South
Oxfordshire planning strategy; review at end of year.
Also, alterations to Budgens shopfront were not advertised on planning lists.
COMMITTEE VACANCIES AND LONGER TERM RECRUITMENT
Tara Taylor contact with youth workers; Diana Hartrup continues with newsletter
distribuion – both no longer on committee.
Need new blood for succession and younger participants; but not forthcoming.
Useful to have extended team of helpers who aren't on committee.
Most effective to ask suitable people directly.
Will be completed by 22nd June and then sent out to be checked by committee.
DH will print on 1st July. 50 extra copies needed by JV.
4. TREASURER'S REPORT
BH confirmed normal running costs were covered by subscriptions. Cost of AGM
lower than before and well within budget. Association is well funded, with nearly £4000
in the bank.
Insurance covers 2 meetings a year as well as committee and helpers. MO will
look for insurance at cheaper rates for 2010.
Subs still £5 for 5 years or £1.00 for one year. Possibility of raising
to £1.50 for one year to encourage a five year payment. If agreed, would
need to be announced at next AGM.
Possible badge to identify committee members at functions.
Clive Ormonde sorting out website www.egra.co.uk . New one-off payment of £10
for 2 years for domain name . Just over £17 for first six months to new
webhost, rising to £34 for six months thereafter.
5. FEEDBACK FROM COMMITTEES
Still no news of Neighbourhood Action Group meeting venue.
Possibility of merger with Lower Caversham NAG, but EGRA wants trial
period at local venue first.
SCCF - next meeting on Monday 13th July. (VB)
NRYP - waiting for feedback from TT. Plans to extend Emmer Green
Community Centre: waiting for more information on building and contracts.
Possibly connected to Sure Start project.
6. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
1) Request for suitable local residents to serve as GOVERNORS FOR
HIGHDOWN SCHOOL will be circulated to members. Application forms
were displayed at AGM and Anniversary Celebrations.
BH attended 2008 function as EGRA representative. Waiting for date
and name of recipients of £50 book donation for work in local
2) PROPOSED FURTHER VISIT TO THE HILL SCHOOL AND INVITATION TO ATTEND
A SCHOOL COUNCIL meeting - will see if committee member is able to
3) SEAT AT CAVERSHAM COURT will be funded jointly by CADRA, WADRA,
EGRA AND Reading Civic Society: about £200 each. Will inform
members when garden reopens.
4) ST BARNABAS GARDEN PARTY on 11th July. CE will organise but will
need help. BP will arrange for gazebo.
5) ROYAL MAIL - widespread problem with erratic and late deliveries.
No response from Customer Help Line. Some staff already moved to
Swindon: now only skeleton delivery staff left.
6) NEW LETTERHEAD will be produced by MO.
7) REQUEST FOR SEAT AT EMMER GREEN shopping centre from Mrs Moorey,
Chiltern Court, via Annette Hendry. It was thought that chairs inside
Budgens and PO would be preferable; though future of seat outside
Corals was still uncertain. BP to approach Budgens manager; PO could
be asked again.
8) GROVE ROAD ALLOTMENTS - locks forced on 12 sheds recently and
1 rake stolen. Vandalism usually occurs on Friday nights. MO had
contacted John Hendy, our Police Community Support Officer, who will
watch the area when on evening patrols.
7. DATE AND VENUE FOR NEXT MEETING:
Wednesday 23rd September at 7.30pm
at MO house, 20 Kidmore End Road.